Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Won't You Join Us For a Tryst?

Don't be shy! Have a taste!

We, at the Tryst, seek to break the boundaries of solitary artists, unknowns, and unsigneds by bringing them together in a supportive and positive space, helping them connect with resources they might not have access to, and providing an expanded community network for all kinds of creatives to participate.

There are many ideas flowing through our collective pipeline and we have been working on lots of stuff for you! We are in the process of nailing down venues to hold our shows, networking with other organizations, recruiting more members, and working on our own collateral material. So, while you haven’t heard from us in several months, I assure you, we’re still here and we’re a fantastic work in progress. Keep your calendars clear and your eyes open for our upcoming shows. They’ll be here before you know it!

It's so nice to see you!

I would like to welcome you to the Tryst and our new blog! It was little more than a year ago that the Tryst came into my life. I was invited to attend a show last June and afterward, I wanted to be involved. Since then, I have been collaborating with Tryst founder, Jessica Rowshandel, and several other founding members to help plan and grow the organization. It is an exciting process and a project that has truly become near and dear to my heart.

Now, while I’m no brilliant artist, I have done my fair share of running marketing departments and creating art through event production, graphic design, and photography. Sadly, I am no longer a professional in the creative fields. These days I tend to consider myself more of a creative enthusiast and live vicariously through the more talented artistic folk that I know. Among them are musicians, fine artists, comedians, dancers, filmmakers, to name a few. I have been offering my marketing insight, strategic-planning knowledge, and general ideas to the Tryst in hopes that they would find my meager talents useful. And they have - with arms wide open and with a true welcoming of my thoughts and suggestions. For that small token, I have found myself newly inspired and have started to regain some of the creative juices that I thought had long since dried up.

I personally believe that my friends, their friends, and their friends' friends should be recognized more often for the brilliant works they create. I am fascinated with the amount of talent amongst ‘ordinary’ people I have known for years and those I continue to meet everyday. While many of them are visionaries, very few are successful at getting their art exposed to wider audiences or even amongst their peers. They often have uninspiring day jobs and lament over not having more time to be creative. I, myself, have been in this rut before. I have felt the weight of the corporate world and the lack of creative personal time. I’m sure you have too. It’s not pretty.

What the horizon brings...

Recently, Jessica and I had dinner together and talked at length about the Tryst, what it means, where we want it to go, and what we hope our constituents will gain from it. Many ideas were discussed, dreams formed, and plans hatched. While Jess and I joked about our collective attention-span issues, got excited stumbling onto new ideas, and gleefully strayed off-topic, we somehow managed to get work done and created a meaningful vision for the Tryst. That vision, with the help of our founding members, later became our mission statement. It was a small but important step in our growth, one that really solidified our team and helped us move forward. I have been so impressed with our progress, the enthusiastic interest from our member artists, and the wonderful connections we’ve made with like-minded groups. It's been awesome! We still have a long journey ahead, but I am honored and delighted to participate along the way.

And maybe, just maybe, through our work, it will be possible for some of our artists to quit those uninspiring day jobs and focus on the art they love for a living. That is our wish for you!

Thanks to all of you who have shared with us and continue to share with us. We look forward to seeing you at the next show!

Art, love, and joy,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment